For some time now, a type of exercise that works the abs in a static but very effective way has become very fashionable. We talk about the iron exercises, a perfect way to get the muscles of the belly in shape but, at the same time, you also tone your arms and legs.
If you want to know what to choose abs or plates to have a flat stomach, we recommend that you continue reading this article. We review the benefits of doing crunches or plates and how they can help reduce waist and tone the abdomen in a few days.
Essential differences between abs or plates
We have spent some time seeing how a new sport modality that works the abdominal muscles in different ways has become fashionable: doing the traditional abs exercises or statically placing the body like an iron, parallel to the floor. Which of the two is better?
The truth is that the two modalities are good for strengthening the abdomen without damaging the cervical or other parts of the body, so you can opt for any of them to exercise this part of your body. However, it is important that you know the differences between crunches and irons that will help you to better understand these exercises:
- Muscles used: one of the basic differences is in the amount of muscles we use to do each exercise.With the traditional abs (the abdominals) the muscles of the abdomen or the obliques are worked, depending on the exercise that you perform; but in the case of the iron, other secondary muscles are worked, such as the legs, buttocks, shoulders, and so on.
- Movement: another of the basic differences between crunches and irons is that to do the first one you need to make movement and that the work is distributed in series and repetitions while, for the iron, the trick is to stay static looking at the ground and hold for a few seconds in the same position.
- Burning calories: another of the highlights is the amount of calories burned during the practice of crunches or plates. As we have already said, when we do crunches in a traditional way we work, first and foremost, the muscles of the belly but with the table we strengthen other muscle groups. Therefore, with the second, a greater caloric burn is achieved and, therefore, it is more advisable if what is wanted is to lose weight.
Isometric abdominals, the triumphant trend
The exercise of the iron does not cease to be an exercise that is included within the isometrics, one of the most cutting-edge trends in the current fitness sector. These exercises are having a huge success because, as we have said, they work a greater number of muscles at the same time, increase the calorie burn and, in addition, they are easy to perform. This makes it less common that you can injure or hurt your cervicals, something that was quite frequent in the practice of conventional abdominals.
It is an easy and very complete exercise that helps you to define your abdomen better and spend more calories. The front iron is one of these most popular isometric abdominals today and you can easily do it at home by simply having a mat.
Tips for doing abs and plates correctly
Now that you have known the differences between crunches and irons, it is important that you pay attention to these recommendations with which you can optimize your training and achieve better results.
- Repetitions: you do not have to crush with series of 20 or 30 repetitions. In many cases, muscle tone depends more on the quality of the exercise than on the quantity.
- Progress: your body will get used quickly to the intensity that you are asking, therefore, it is important that you increase in intensity as you train. Do not forget to warm up before doing crunches and thus avoid possible injuries.
- Optimum time for the plates: there is a lot of controversy regarding this topic but, the truth is that to do the exercise of the iron correctly, it is enough to hold 20 seconds static.
- Breathe in a controlled manner: breathing is very important when performing abdominal exercises and, therefore, we recommend that you exhale and inhale deeply.
- Combine exercises: and, finally, to get a toned and healthy body it is important that, in addition to abdominals, you also perform other work routines that help you tone the rest of the muscles of the body.