The Nexus and Pixel from Google are the first devices to officially update each new version of Android, at least during its first two years of life, or three years from the Pixel 2. When Google announces the release of the new version after a few minutes the update is already circulating for their devices.
Google updates its devices in stages. First OTA launches for 1% of the devices to check that everything was fine, and if in a few days no failure is detected, the update already begins to arrive in a maximum period of two weeks to the rest of its terminals.
But before launching the OTA for its Nexus and Pixel, Google publishes hours or days before the OTA file through its developer page so that the most impatient can manually update their devices without having to wait for them to arrive automatically.
Updating a Nexus or Pixel manually is very simple , you only need to connect your device by cable to the computer and make use of the tools for developers that allow sending OTA files to our device to update it. If you want to know how it is done, continue reading.
From the official website of Google developers, we will find the OTA file every month to update our Nexus or Pixel device to the latest version. The OTA files to download are in the following link:
The latest version is always the last file in the list for each device. In the file name it sets the date of the update. For example: 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) is the update released in December 2017. As it is an update, we can only install a higher version than we have, otherwise the installation will be aborted.
Steps to follow
- We download the corresponding OTA file to our device and save it without decompressing inside the same ADB folder.
- We connect the device to the computer and in a command window execute: adb reboot recovery . When the Android logo with the red exclamation appears on the device, we press Volume up + Power at the same time .
- Using the volume keys we select apply update from adb and enter with the Power key.
- We write the instruction adb sideload file.zip from the command window of our computer . For example:
adb sideload bullhead-ota-opr6.170623.013-87f85e44.zip
- When the update is finished, it is up to us to restart the selected device Reboot the system now . This process will leave the device updated respecting our data and applications.