There is a lot of information about breast cancer, but that is not enough to stop the disease.
Knowing about this condition is basic to be able to face it and for that reason, the doctor Rubén Zuart Alvarado , coordinator of Medical Programs of the Coordination of Integrated Health Programs of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS), explains for Health180 the factors that increase the possibility to develop it.
1. Start of menstruation before 12 years of age.
2. Emergence of menopause after 50.
3. Having no children, or having children after 37 years of age.
4. Absence of breastfeeding.
5. Have a direct family history (grandmother, mother or sister) who has suffered.
6. The use of contraceptives for a long time (without medical supervision)
7. Overweight and / or obesity.
8. Sedentary ; lack of exercise.
9. Increase in the consumption of animal fats.
10. Use of estrogenand / or artificial hormones.
Obesity and menopause
The doctor, Zuart Alvarado warned that international studies indicate that obesity is directly related to mortality from breast cancer, especially in postmenopausal women.
The theory is that obese women produce more estrogens, hormones that are associated with the development of this type of cancer.
The health expert of the IMSS, said that it is difficult to present cases of breast cancer in men, since they represent 1% of all cases. However, they should also feel their breasts and identify any changes or alterations in their body.