Whether you are an amateur or passionate about photography, today it is quite possible to monetize your activity to make ends meet or really make a living. In this article, we expose three techniques to put all the chances on your side.
This is the most common way, and the easiest way to make quick money thanks to his shots. Indeed, there is a strong demand from companies in terms of photos, images. The first sources of images for professionals are the image banks.
What is an image bank? An image bank, also called “Microstock”, is an online image database acting as a marketplace between buyers and sellers.
The advantages of an image bank:
- Simplicity (registration in a few clicks, instant online).
- Visibility (important traffic, the more visitors, the greater your chances of selling).
The disadvantages of an image bank:
- High commissions (from 30% to 60% depending on the case).
- The competition (which will unfortunately force you to lower your prices).
Here are the 3 main image banks on which you can sell your photos:
Sell photos on your own website
No need to beat around the bush, if you want to sell your photos independently, there are three solutions:
- The first is the creation of its own merchant website. Here, your only limit is your imagination. But be careful because it is a long and winding road. You will need to have good computer skills to create and reference a website by yourself, especially if you want to sell your photos from your site and thus cash online payments.
- The next is to solicit pre-designed interfaces such as those provided by Photoshelter. With this solution, you benefit from your own website in a few moments in return for a monthly subscription starting at 10 € / month. Note that Photoshelter is convenient because completely turnkey but relatively expensive because they are also paid by puncturing 10% on all your sales, in addition to transaction fees.
- The last is positioned between the two. You can create your own website using simple but effective tools like Wix or Squarespace. We talked about it in this article. And thanks to Payfacile’s digital file sales module, you can add a purchase button for your photos. Your customer pays online on the Payfacile sales page that you have set up and a download link is sent to your customer once the payment for their photo has been validated. This is the least expensive solution on the market: € 9.90 / month for access to the add-on module with unlimited secure hosting + 1% commission, in addition to transaction fees. Much cheaper than Photoshelter!
Sell photos on social networks
You do not want to take the time to create your own website? You can take advantage of the social networks Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest to present your work and simply copy and paste the link URL of the sales page of your photos in the comments. Creating a sales page for a photo or a pack of photos only takes a few seconds with Payfacile.com and does not require any technical skills. No need for a website! Visitors to your Facebook page will simply be able to click on the internet address of the sales page to order the ‘source file’ of the photo and pay online. At Payfacile, a good part of the photographers simply send an e-mail to their client with the link to the sales page: the customer opens the mail, clicks on the link, pays online and receives the download link for his photo with the confirmation email and the invoice.