There are more and more children’s toys that connect to the internet. The problem is that any product that works through the network runs the risk of suffering a cyber attack, something that we must strive to prevent, especially when users are the smallest.
At Christmas it is likely that our children receive one or more electronic toys with an internet connection. In general, these are dolls or devices that seek interaction with children or communication between users of that same toy (for example, between parents and children or the community of players) and that are linked to a mobile application.
The risk is that these toys usually require the transfer of personal data of minors (name, age, gender, email address, etc.) and can record images or audios through the cameras and microphones they incorporate.
This, of entry, would not have to be alarmed, since these benefits may be necessary for the toy to work properly. The problem is that any product that connects to the Internet can be intercepted by cybercriminals. In fact, there have already been cases of toys in which security breaches have been detected or the personal information of users has been exposed.
That is why it is so important to use all the necessary preventive measures so that toys connected to the internet are as safe as possible for children.
I tell you below everything you should do:
- Get well informed First of all, it is essential that you know all the characteristics of the toy, its features and safety options. Do not trust anything that is minimally suspicious or that does not include clear information.
- Change the password It is possible that the toy comes with a predetermined password. Change it for a new one and insist your children on the importance of not sharing it with anyone.
- Monitor the chats. Many of these toys allow communication between users. Make sure to check frequently the conversations that your children keep in the chats.
- Controls the user profile. Periodically, it monitors what type of information is displayed on their public profiles, as well as that of friends or users who habitually interact with them.
- Respect the age of use. All toys include recommendations regarding the ages recommended for their use. It is important, especially in the case of toys connected to the internet, that you take these limitations into account.
- Activate parental control. Most electronic toys and devices aimed at children or adolescents incorporate parental control tools. Apply those measures that you think are necessary and schedule the appropriate notifications. Also activate a payment method in which you must use a password that only parents know.
- Keep the software updated. It is important that you always approve software updates, as the new versions may correct possible security breaches.
However, beyond all these measures, the really fundamental thing is to talk with your children about the dangers of the network and why it is necessary to make good use of the devices connected to the Internet. All this, from a climate of total confidence that allows them to come to you before any doubt or possible incidence.